Thursday, June 17, 2010

Patio furniture that is easy on the Earth and my wallet...


...although it might not be too easy on my back.

So I picked up the latest issue of ReadyMade magazine the other night at Target. I was actually looking for Southern Living because my mom said that there was an article about turning a garage into a potting shed, but they didn't have it. I couldn't let those $5 burn a hole in my pocket so I bought ReadyMade.

Anyway, turns out I kind of like this magazine! They had an outdoor spread with some great ideas. The above chair was designed by a Seattle man, Sanders Viegers, using basically 2x4s and a saw. I'm thinking it sounds like my kind of project! Simple and sturdy with the option of giving it a brightly colored coat of paint.

You can see more from Sanders Viegers at 2822shop.com including how to build a matching bench!




So please pardon the horrible cut & paste scan job I did above, but this was another project that caught my eye. This is a table made from two pallets, some 1x4s and 2x4s. I love it. I had originally thought that we would do some kind of picnic table in the covered entertaining area that the garage will become, but I am liking this idea more. I can build this table with a little help from Joe, I am sure, and I can get pallets for free.

I might even be able to pair the above chairs with it if I can increase the leg length. This table was designed by Jen Turner of NYC. You can learn more about Jen at thejenturner.com

I bought Joe a hammock from Kohl's for all the work he has done with the pea gravel. I hope that I can assemble it myself so that I am not making more work for him and he can just lay in it and surf the web on his iPad. Sounds like a nice way to spend some time, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment